Sunday, November 19, 2006

Fantasy sub-genres

I write fantasy. It's not all I'm interested in writing, but of late that's what I've been focusing on. I also have strong interests in horror, but I've other, even mainstream, ideas too. I'll get around to writing that stuff eventually, if I live long enough. But for now, at least the next six months until completely finishing rewriting and editing on my trilogy, I'm focusing on fantasy.

But even within fantasy there are multiple genres. There's dark fantasy, romantic fantasy, sword and sorcery, and a score or more of other sub-genres.

I recently was asked which sub-genre of fantasy I write. My answer was "I don't know." That might sound lame, but it's the truth. I guess my trilogy is sort of a mixture of heroic fantasy and sword and sorcery, but I never really think of it that way while writing or editing. I don't think my work is true heroic fantasy, because some of my protagonists are more anti-heroes than heroes. I also don't think I write true sword and sorcery, because a number of my characters are interested in saving or helping the world around them, not just their own goals. I guess I have a mixture of characters, some more heroic and others more sword and sorcery.

As for the future, I have a few fantasy-related ideas that are not so action/adventure oriented. But I also have plenty of more tales to tell about Kron Darkbow and some of the folks surrounding him. Now if I can just land a publisher, I could start a series of Kron books, and sometimes other works.

To the future!

No comments: