Saturday, April 14, 2007

Second Life for writers

I mentioned here recently that I sometimes hang out online in a place called Second Life. The best way I can think of to describe Second Life is, not as a game, but as a three-dimensional version of the Internet in which you are represented by an avatar of your own making. Now, Second Life has only been around for a few years, so it reminds me much of how the Internet was in the early-to-mid 1990s (for those of you who are old enough to remember that); there is a lot of information on Second Life, including business Web sites and chat and more, but there is still much room to grow.

I bring all this up again here because publishers are beginning to have a presence on Second Life. There have been a few small-press and UK publishers on Second Life for a while, but Bantam Dell has recently opened a shop on Second Life, with no other than Dean Koontz doing an online session with readers.

So, there might be a reason to check out Second Life. I'm predicting other publishers will start to make a move onto Second Life over the next year.

I'll keep a watch on Second Life for any other writer-related news. If you should go, there are also a number of bookstores to check out. Just use the search tool and you should have no problem findng them.

No comments: