Monday, May 21, 2007

My serial fiction experiment


If you haven't noticed, I've added yet another blog.

It's titled "The Sword of Bayne." What is this new blog? It's a mixture of things, but mostly it's an experiment in serial fiction. I'm not trying to write it as a novel, nor as a short story, and I'm not planning to have any of the writings there published in print. If by some odd miracle it should become fantastically popular, I might consider approaching a print publisher about reprint rights, but that's not likely to happen.

What's likely to happen is I will write my serial stories, a few friends will check it out from time to time, and that will be about it. But that's alright. I'm also writing this serial fiction blog for myself.

It started with my idea for this new character, Bayne Kul Kanon. I'd been reading a lot of Sword & Sorcery, and Bayne just popped into my head one night. I won't say I immediately loved him as a character. I don't feel quite as strongly about him as I do characters like Kron or Belgad, or even Adara Corvus or Randall Tendbones, but I'm interested in the journey of discovery that will be Bayne's.

He's not going on a physical journey necessarily. Bayne is facing more of a journey of knowledge, of discovery. He has things to discover about himself and about the world he is in. Why he is in a situation where he has to find out all this stuff will become known with his origin story, "The Fallen God."

I will repeat: I'm not writing a novel or a short story. I'm trying to use a blog to re-create an old form of fiction, serial stories, while bringing to it something new, specifically text that's related to the story but not necessarily part of the story. To this end, the posts will not only include the actual stories, but will also include snippets from characters' journals, historical writings, letters, etc.

I do plan on writing some short stories using Bayne, but these will not be published in the blog. I am also hoping to use "The Sword of Bayne" as a promotional tool, to give a little free fiction away in hopes of helping to drive interest in my writing. Only time will tell if this will work.

Each story entry will be part of a larger story, a chapter I call it. The first being "The Fallen God," as mentioned above. After this origen story, there will be other stories with multiple entries. I don't know how many blog entries it will take to tell a whole chapter; it could take 10, it could take a hundred. I'll figure it out as I go.

Also, a lot of the writing at this new blog will be first draft quality. Maybe second draft if I get a chance to look over some posts. But don't expect everything to be perfect. I'll try my best, but I too have some life outside of the Internet, and I have two other blogs.

So, check out "The Sword of Bayne," pass the link around, and I hope you enjoy it.

Oh, and another thing ... yes, I realize as of this writing that Bayne actually hasn't show up yet in the story. Don't worry. He will.

No comments: