Thursday, September 27, 2007

Christian horror

That's right. I said "Christian horror." The two do not have to be enemies. And no, Ty hasn't become a Jesus freak.

The last couple of weeks I've taken some time off writing the trilogy to work on some short stories, and, more specifically, to work on the background/timeline of my John Dee character and his world, which just happens to be our world. The real world.

I guess if I were picky about it, Dee's stories aren't necessarily horror. They're more dark fantasy, along the lines of Wagner's Kane works.

I didn't mean to steal any ideas from Wagner. John Dee was almost an accidental creation, originally a character I needed for a short story concerning modern Iraq. This was to be a one-shot story. I had never planned a novel or series of short stories ... but the more I think about Dee and his history, the more potential I see for him.

So how does all this tie in with Christianity and horror? Without going into detail (you'll have to read my short story "Beneath A Persian Sun" if it ever sees publication somewhere), Dee has a background with links to Christianity, and somewhat less to Judaism. This character has gotten me to thinking a lot about Christianity as related to horror.

So far, I can't think of a book more horrific than the Holy Bible. Now, don't misunderstand me. I am NOT slamming the Bible, nor Christianity. I'm just saying there are a lot of really scare things in there. Especially if you accept those things as real.

I mean, come on ... demons? Satan? Eternal damnation? Can you think of much more scarier than that? Even looking at a more angelic side, just how frightening would it be if Jesus or Mary showed up at your doorstep one day? And they could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it was really them?

So, part of the Dee mythos (so to speak), is that he believes the Christian mythology is real. Now whether it really is real or not (within the frameworks of my stories) is left up to the reader. At least so far.

Ty has gone exploring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool. Totally apropros. I should let you read my Christian horror tale sometime. It really is horrific.
~HvD