Thursday, November 15, 2007

A problem worth having

So, for the first time in probably two decades, I have my to-be-read pile down to three books. It's usually somewhere between 15 and 30 books, but I've intentionally been trying to whittle that pile down because I got tired of looking at it (and because a lot of books I'm excited to read seem to lose their luster after I've stared at them for a few years).

Then I go to my newspaper job. We get lots of books for free. Tons of them. At least 5 or 6 a day for review. However, we're generally not supposed to take them.

Until today. The book editor decided she wanted to clean out her office, so she took about 20 mail crates full of books and lined them up in an empty office. Then she passed the word that anybody could have any books they wanted.

At first I cursed. Then I think my eyes went all goo-gooey and I plied my way through those boxes of books like Renfield scouring his cell for rats to eat. I came away with about 20 books, mostly novels.

That was at dinner time. I took a box of those 20 books to my Explorer.

Then it was back to work.

And I kept hearing that office calling to me, saying "There are still plenty of homeless, orphaned books here waiting for you to provide them shelter."

So, toward the end of the night I scampered back to the books and perused them once more. This time I only came away with a dozen books.

I didn't want to be greedy or anything.

4 comments:

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

you bastard! I'm insanely jealous! And I suppose you won't be sharing, as you'll need fodder, er, products for your own contests, eh!?!

But you seriously had your TBR pile down to 3!!! I probably have over 300 in mine - and that doesn't count the review books I receive - which have actually started to come in from other than SFReader now. HvD seems to be building a little bit of a name for himself.

That would be cool, having only 3 books in the TBR . . . but there are too many must reads in mine to start trimming. There are some probable duds, too, but those will sink to the bottom sooner or later.

Congrats on the book fest, dude!

cindy said...

i'm so jealous. did you pick out something for me and howie?????????

HUH HUH HUH??????????

where is the book sharing love? 8)

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

so, cyn, ty's just gonna ignore us, i see. what're we gonna do 'bout that?

Ty said...

Back! Back, ya rabid writers! At least let me read a few of the books first!