Saturday, August 23, 2008

No. 22 - Alexander of Macedon

by Harold Lamb

Started: August 23
Finished: August 31

Notes: This is a historical novel first published in 1946 by an author who comes highly praised in some fantastic fiction circles. I've read one or two of Lamb's shorter pieces, but never one of his novels. Here goes.

Mini review: Quite enjoyably, this turned out to be more partially-fictionalized biography than historical novel (if you don't realize the difference, that's fine, because I do). This was an informative read, despite my already being fairly knowledgable of the time period, and there's enough action to keep the interest level high. The author keeps his focus on the charecter of Alexander, and Alexander's possible goals, and doesn't focus so much on the many cultures Alexander ran into. I always enjoy books that give me a new way of looking at something, and this book did it for me; I came away with more of an appreciation of Alexander the Great as an explorer, and not just as a conquering figure, which is how he is usually portrayed.

7 comments:

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

When you're finished reading it, I'll pay you twice as much as you paid for it.

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

seriously.
;)

Ty said...

Okay. It cost me $5,000. I'll be waiting for the check.

Seriously, though. When I'm done with it, I'll ship it to you. Shouldn't cost you a thing.

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

Sweet of you; let me pay for postage at least. I've been looking for this one actually. All I ever find up here is the Genghis Khan book(s). I own 2 or 3 copies of it, and could probably buy another 4 or 6 right now - you want me to find you one and then we can swap?

Ty said...

Yeah, we can swap. We could call it even on the postage, then.

One of my local used bookstores has another Lamb paperback, "Omar Khayyam." I keep meaning to snag it, but keep forgetting when I spot something else.

Anonymous said...

AoM is a great read. I was fortunate enough (read: right age) when these were re-released. I managed to grab Lamb's bios on Alexander, Genghis Khan, Hannibal and Charlemagne (don't have the Khayyam one though). Hannibal is especially good.

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

Yes, I too enjoyed the Hannibal book but I also loved the Geghis Khan one. I have both and a Charlemagne and a Suleiman, neither of which I have read yet. I look for Lamb's biographies at every used book store and sale I visit.