Friday, October 24, 2008

No. 33 - Money Money Money

by Ed McBain

Started: October 24
Finished: October 31

Notes: I have not finished my last novel yet, nor had I planned to read another by Ed McBain so soon, but I've been on the road the last few days and I forgot to bring along my current reading material. So, I popped into a used bookstore and picked this up. This one should be a bit different because it's supposed to deal with terrorism, not a subject I'd normally associate with hard-boiled police procedurals.

Mini review: Definitely the most complex of McBain's 87th Precinct novels I've read so far. And though this is one of the more modern tales, it worked fine with characters who had been around for 50 years. The terrorism in the plot here is quite slick, really barely making it into the story, but playing an important part to the overall tale. Things start off looking like a relatively simple story about drug runners, but then counterfeiting becomes involved, multiple murders, hit men (and women) ... and it gets more complex from there. But it all winds up in the end with a fine story.

No comments: