Saturday, February 07, 2009

No. 12 - The Scarlet Letter

by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Started: February 7
Finished: February 13

Notes: This is a literary classic I've been meaning to get to for a long time, and one of the books originally on my list of books I want to read. Besides, my recent reading of Frank Norris' McTeague has me in the mood for some classic literature.

Mini review: An excellent plot, though I felt the ending left a little too much mystery for my liking. Good characters, too. I found it interesting the female protagonist was such a strong character in the end, considering when this novel was written in 1850 and the time of the story itself, the early days of Puritanism in Boston. There were some boring paragraphs, mainly ones filled with description of things I didn't think needed describing (walks through forest, etc.). And there's a bit of a mystery very early in the tale that I was able to figure out almost immediately. But still, a pretty good book.

1 comment:

cindy said...

i read this in high school and remember enjoying it.