Monday, December 05, 2011

"Demon Chains," my latest writing project

Without much of a break, once I finished my recently released fantasy novels Ghosts of the Asylum, I jumped right into the next novel involving my Kron Darkbow character. It is titled Demon Chains. That's the current working cover there on the right.

Once I realized I was nearing completion on Ghosts of the Asylum, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I wanted to write next. A while back I was feeling a little burnt out on fantasy because I've spent almost all of the last year writing fantasy. But while working on Ghosts of the Asylum, I knew the basics of what the next Kron tale would involve. And that story kept going over and over in my head until I had the plot and the major characters fleshed out. So I kept right on chugging along with more fantasy work.

I'm 22,000 words into this story, and I'm realizing it will likely only come to about 60,000 words, maybe not even that. But this is somewhat a relief because the last Kron novel was nearly double that length.

With each novel I try to do something different stylistically, and Demon Chains is not different. I'm trying to pick up the pace quite a bit. Most of the tale takes place in only a couple of days, but a lot happens in those two days. Kron will be one tired dude once the story is completed.

That is, if Kron survives.

Ah, hell, who am I kidding. He's a serial character. He'll survive. I've got plenty of stories left to tell concerning him.

But I do know when, where and how he dies. It's just a ways off yet.

6 comments:

Adventuresfantastic said...

Good luck with the writing. I hope it goes smoothly and quickly, but I also hope you challenge yourself so that you've grown as a writer by the time it's done. I've got a couple of books in the TBR stack to read before I get to the first Kron Darkbow book, and I'm looking forward to making his acquaintance.

Ty said...

Ha! Keith, I actually cringed a little bit. My first Kron novel was written about 6 years ago, and whenever someone tells me they're going to read it, in my mind are the words, "Oh no! I'm a better writer now!"

I guess that goes with the territory. I hope in another 6 years I'll feel the same about what I write nowadays.

Adventuresfantastic said...

I would hope you're a better writer than you were 6 years ago. :)

I'm somewhat anal about reading series in order, though. I'll not hold any flaws against you.

Charles Gramlich said...

I sure wish I could get into the groove like this. Maybe over Christmas break I'll have a chance to do some of it.

Anonymous said...

I like the cover. It's very impressive that you are already getting through another book.

Lyn said...

Agreed, cool cover. As to writing, I echo Charles, but not at that point in my life. I can at least try a story a week in 2012 - found a cool writing community at Write1Sub1 that encourages just that. I might give it a whirl. Keep up the great work.