Friday, May 04, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 41 -- The Ghost Pirates

by William Hope Hodgson

Started: May 2
Finished: May 5

Notes: This writer has come highly suggested by the likes of H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, so I'm guessing he is worth my while. I've obviously heard of Hodgson, but I've never read any of his work. This particular short novel is the third part of a trilogy, though apparently each part of the series can be read by itself. Also, this one was published in 1909. Besides, the title, it's got both ghosts and pirates, so what is there not to like?

Mini review: Started somewhat slow, but then builds quickly and in an interesting fashion, with events piling upon one another to a dramatic climax. I felt the ending came a little (just a little) too abruptly, but it did mostly fit in with the story. This was more a horror than a fantasy tale, and fans of early 20th century speculative fiction should enjoy this one. I know I did.

No comments: