Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Interview with Judi Coltman, author of 'In The Name of The Father'


1.) Judi, for those who don't know you, can you tell us a little about yourself as a writer, and about your books?

I have been involved in some aspect of the publishing business for twenty years. I've written exciting articles for national publications about sales, marketing and point of purchase displays as well as the fascinating world of nuclear power and auxiliary feed water pumps. So it makes sense that I would make the leap into fiction, no?  I decided in 2010 to pursue my passion, dusted off some story ideas and got to work.

2.) What is your favorite genre to read? And to write?

I love a good mystery but throw in biographies for a change of pace. I don't have a favorite genre to write in, I change it up all of the time. May I just lump it all into Literary Fiction?

3.) Who are some of your favorite authors?

In no particular order:
John Irving
Patricia Cornwell
John Grisham
Pat Conroy

4.) As a writer, how do you define your own success?  

There are really two layers to how I define success. At the gut level, success was when I sold my first book to people I did not know. On a financial level, success is selling books every month without doing too much to make it happen. But, off the top of my head ... success is the moment I committed to myself to make it happen and I followed through.

5.) How many times a day do you check your sales numbers? Tell the truth! 

I've gotten much better at controlling myself. I check sales first thing in the morning, once in the afternoon and again before I go to bed. There have been times, though, where I check when I wake, again with my second sip of coffee, and then every 5 minutes throughout the day. I found it wasn't making a difference.

6.) If you could go back in time and meet anyone, who would it be and why?

Unfair question. I should probably say I'd like to meet someone like Joan of Arc, but the truth is, I'd like to meet Paul McCartney ... and Oprah. I don't need to go back in time to do that.

For more about author Judi Coltman, check out ...
Her blog: My Life in a Nutshell
Her website: Judi Coltman
Her Amazon page

No comments: