Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 62 - Brunner the Bounty Hunter

by C.L. Werner

Started: July 14
Finished: August 12

Notes: My understanding is this thick tome is actually a collection of one short story and three books, of which I believe two are collections of short stories that tie together and the third is a novel. The single short story is titled "What Price Vengeance" and the books are Blood Money, Blood and Steel, and Blood of the Dragon. Two things truly sold me on this book. The first was the author, who has shared a table of contents with yours truly in at least one or two anthologies, though I don't remember exactly which ones, probably one of the Rogues Blade Entertainment books. Secondly, the fantastic artwork by Marek Okon truly sold me. Honestly, this is one of my favorite pieces of fantasy art in years.

Mini review: I truly loved the characters here, especially Brunner himself, and the dialogue was some of the best I've read in fantasy in some while. However, the plots for me were hit and miss. Some of the plots I found quite enjoyable, but some didn't do much for me. But that can be expected in a work that collects many short stories, a novella or two, and a novel.

1 comment:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Brunner is a fun character. He's basically The Man With No Name in the Warhammer world. Werner makes it work.

And, yes, some of the Warhammer omnibus covers have been excellent. I think Black Library making up for the original low-budget covers from when they were starting out.

Their omnibuses are great bargains, I only wish they would do the same for their ebooks.