Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 63 -- Shotgun

by Ed McBain

Started: July 23
Finished: July 25

Notes: I had not intended to read this novel anytime soon. In fact, until today I did not even own this novel. Earlier this year I had read quite a bit of Ed McBain, and I was starting to feel like I was burning out a little on him, so I had promised myself I would not read any more McBain for a good long while. Fast forward to today. For about six hours I was stuck without a vehicle today. I also had no computer, no Kindle, and no books. I rarely travel from home without at least two of those three items, but today I had planned only a short trip. That short trip turned into an all-day affair. So, without wheels and without anything to help keep myself occupied, I began to become quite anxious. Fortunately I spotted a used book store just a few blocks down the road. One decent walk later, after a few minutes of shelf perusal, I stumbled upon this particular McBain novel, one I would have gotten to eventually (as I will all the 87th Precinct novels I've yet to read). Better yet, the price was only a nickel. Yes, you read that correctly. A nickel. As in five cents. The old paperback is fairly beat up, but it's still definitely readable. So, despite my earlier unease, I soon found a McBain novel to help me spend what would have otherwise been a dreadful day. Even better, this novel is from 1969, one of the earlier 87th Precinct novels, which are usually my favorites because they are more to the point and have less personal drama for the characters.

Mini review: One of the things I like about McBain's 87th Precinct novels is that you never know what he is going to do in the end. Sometimes you know who the killer is, and sometimes not. Sometimes the killer is captured, sometimes gunned down, sometimes gets away free. Sometimes a killer gets away only to be caught several books later. Sometimes there isn't even a killer. Most of the endings aren't overly tricky. This one was a little tricky, but not too much. The book's title says it all, and the art image on the cover. I liked this one, but I usually do with McBain.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoy an occassional McBain but can't read more than one at a time.