Saturday, August 25, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 71 -- Lessons (and Other Morbid Drabbles)

by Michael Crane

Started: August 25
Finished: August 25

Notes: I've been reading a lot of print books lately, mainly because I've been trying to whittle down my to-be read pile (and still have a long way to go). Meanwhile, my Kindle has been feeling kind of lonely. To correct that, I thought I'd turn to this collection of 25 100-word pieces of fiction that supposedly range from the absurd to the horrific.

Mini review: Quite the fun little collection. You can read the whole thing in 10 minutes or less. Of the 25 drabble pieces, probably the first half dozen are the best, in part because you're still learning what to expect from these very short tales. As can be expected from a collection, there were one or two which didn't do much for me, but there were also a handful I found quite intriguing. Another thing I liked was the author sometimes fooled you, changing the direction a story was going just as you thought you had things figured out. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm actually thinking of publishing something kind of like this, although the pieces will be longer. I'll have to check it out.