Monday, September 24, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 77 -- Annals of the Black Company

by Glen Cook

Amazon link

Started: Sept. 12
Finished: Sept. 23

Notes: This book is actually a collection of three novels, The Black Company; Shadows Linger; and The White Rose. I read the first novel years ago and ever since have been meaning to read more of this fantasy author. Spotting this Book Club Edition for a buck in a used book store, I knew I couldn't turn it down.

Mini review: One of the best endings I've seen in a long while that actually makes you feel sorry for a villain. This was a nice romp through the past, for me meaning the fantasy writing styles of the early-to-mid 1980s. Lots of action, quick dialogue, just enough description to let the reader knows what is going on, a minimal of philosophizing (though there is some, mostly in the background). These three rather short novels were a nice change from the oft bloated epic fantasy tales more common today. This is actually the type of fantasy writing I try to do, lots of characters, intrigue and action, and not a thousand pages needed to tell it.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I really like these books a lot. I read them in the same format as this and though I often read one book in a series then go elsewhere before book 2, I read these back to back.

Paul R. McNamee said...

Still my favorite fantasy novel(s).