Sunday, September 16, 2012

My latest art projects

I've not posted much lately about my art projects, but that does not mean I have not been busy painting and working in Photoshop. Actually, I've been quite busy.

For the most part I've been working on mock-ups of potential book and e-book covers. I'm not sure yet if I like any of these enough to actually make use of them, but I've been practicing with new covers for e-books and books of mine that already exist, so the images with this post might have some familiar titles on them.

For some time I've been contemplating new covers for nearly all my books. Some of them were designed several years ago for the then budding e-book market, and I feel a number of them need a fresh approach, hopefully one that is somewhat more professional looking or at least fun, potentially drawing in readers.

I admit, I'm not a good enough artist for this project, but I'm enjoying it, and I like the idea of doing my own covers.

I've found I have the best luck painting the central image in acrylics, then scanning that in and doing the foregrounds and backgrounds in Photoshop. Or at least that's how it seems to me. Others might think I would do better taking a different approach, but again, I'm interested in what I'm doing and entertaining myself. Time will tell if that transfers to the readers.

Will any of these ever see the light of day beyond this blog? I don't know. They're not great artwork, but at the same time they're as good if not better than a lot of indie e-books I've seen. Does that make them good enough? I don't know. I'm still trying to work that one out.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I definitely like the color schemes and lettering on these.