Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2 new fantasy e-book covers

Though my blog has been a little quiet of late (for me, at least), I've still been working in the background. In the writing arena, I'm working on some short stories I owe to anthology editors. In the painting area, I've been doing a little dabbling here and there, and working on some new e-book covers.

First up is the new cover for my novelette, The Castle of Endless Woe. I detested the old cover, mainly because it was thrown together quick to get this short piece of fiction up online. I finally got around to doing a new cover. I like this cover, put together of a painting I did of a tower and some background work in Photoshop. I'm not suggesting it's the greatest cover ever, but it is much improved over my old cover. I can live with it for now. If my painting skills ever get to a much higher level, then I might paint another one. One thing unique about the tower painting here is that I did not paint it on canvas, but upon a hard acrylic board, which I kind of like; it gives the painting a different quality, allowing the textures of the paint to stand out better instead of just the texture of a canvass (I'll probably be experimenting more with this).

Next is the new cover for Road to Wrath: Book II of The Kobalos Trilogy. I added a new cover to the first book in this trilogy a while back, and I've been meaning ever since for a new cover for this second book. And yes, eventually there will be a new cover for the third book in the trilogy as well as a new cover for the prequel short story (and for some of my other Ursian Chronicles e-books). Again, this isn't the greatest cover ever, but I like it, also put together with a painting from me of my Kron character and a simple background made in Photoshop. Of all the people I've painted over the last few months, I believe this one is the best I've done in terms of the facial features. Hopefully my skills there will keep growing.

Now if I can only paint hands and clothing better.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

when you change covers, is it just for aesthetic reasons, or do you think it has an impact on the sales?

Ty said...

Charles, originally I was just testing the waters a month or two back. Then I noticed an increase in sales after I changed a couple of covers. Since then, I've decided to change a lot of my covers, to add a little more action to my fantasy covers and to make many more of them similar in basic design.

I wish I was a better artist, but I'm still enjoying it. My painting skills are (slowly) coming along. If my skills continue to improve, I might re-do my covers in a few years. If not, I still like my new ones better than the old ones, and so far sales are better.