Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Books read in 2013: No. 14 -- The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins

Started: March 3
Finished: March 5

Notes: I've been reading so much non-fiction lately, and I've kind of been longing to get back to fiction. I'm in the mood for something light at the moment, and I'm hoping this is it. Yes, I've seen the movie, thought it was okay, not awful, though quite derivative of earlier, stronger works in both literature and film. Also, I'm wanting to check out the writing here, to see what the whole big deal is, what originally drew readers to make this book so popular.

Mini review: I have to say, this was just what I was in the mood for. Not high literature by any means, but a quick, breezy read that for better or worse somewhat reads like it was made for the screen, which is a possibility since the author is also a screenwriter, though maybe this was just her natural style since she is a screenwriter. Yeah, for someone wanting to read a novel in which you don't have to think a whole lot but can just kind of sit back and enjoy the ride, I can recommend this one; for hardcore genre purists and those who consider themselves the literary elite, nope, this won't be your cup of tea. Also, in my opinion, the book is better than the movie, though the film does pretty much follow the book.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I liked both the book and the movie. The only place where I lost a bit of interest in the book was the scenes in the capital where the author spends a lot of time talking about the fashions and that sort of thing. It didn't last long though so I made it through and the pace picked up again.