Sunday, July 28, 2013

Books read in 2013: No. 37 -- Word eBook Formatting

by Charles Findlay

Started: July 27
Finished: July 28

Notes: There's a lot of talk among e-book authors about formatting, and in my opinion much of the advice is needlessly complicated, at least for fiction writers. Formatting for most prose fiction doesn't have to be all that complex. For instance, I don't use any special software or jump through any technical hoops for my e-books. I use Word, or Open Office (depending upon which computer I'm at). So, when I saw an author had an e-book that focused upon Word formatting for e-books, I thought I'd take a look. My guess is this author works pretty much the way I do myself, but I might learn a few things.

Mini review: Yep, this was about what I expected. This author and myself do pretty much the same formatting in Word. This would be a good e-book for those starting out or those who want to see just how easy e-book formatting can actually be. It will help if you already know at least the basics of using Word. A nice addition in this e-book is an appendix which shows how to use Calibre software to make things run even smoother, but personally I don't see a need for it.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, I've just used word and then saved as a web file. Works good. I haven't had any formatting problems show up, except one where I messed up the margins myself.