Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Books read in 2013: No. 40 -- Romance

by Ed McBain

Started: August 11
Finished: August 14

Notes: It seems I've been doing a lot of heavy reading this year, so I wanted to give my mind a break by jumping into something that's just fun. For me, McBain's 87th Precinct novels are just fun. In this one, the detectives of the 87th are investigating the stabbing of an actress outside a theater.

Mini review: As always, it's nice to go back and meet with old friends. This one was a little more complex than most 87th Precinct novels I've read, but not so much as to be annoying. The title has multiple meanings, for one there being a budding romance between a cop and a doctor/cop within the novel, but also a play in the novel being titled "Romance." As a side note, McBain's 87th Precinct novels have given me an idea for something similar but set in a fantasy world, sort of police procedural novels but instead of modern law enforcement there would be a city watch or something similar. Hmm. Have to think on this one. There are several cities in my fantasy world of Ursia in which this could work.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

It's been a couple of years since I've read one of these. I should grab one off my pile.