Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 30 -- For Nothing: An Upstate New York Mafia Tale

by Nicholas Denmon

Started: July 6
Finished: July 12

Notes: I was looking for some crime fiction and wanting to try a new author, so I decided upon this novel.

Mini review: At first I found the writing clunky, the action unrealistic, and the characters generic if not outright cliched. But I'm glad I stuck with it. About halfway through, everything seemed to improve. The gist of the story is a cop infiltrates the mob to hunt down an assassin who killed the cop's friend. The story gets much more complex than that, and the writing and characterizations improve, and in the end it wasn't such a bad tale. Glad it got better. The ending leaves room for a sequel, so I might have to check it out.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds a bit like the author was learning on the job. Good to see.

Ty said...

That was my impression, too, and I was glad he pulled it off.