Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 36 -- The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You

by Neil Gaiman

Started: July 18
Finished: July 19

Notes: From what I remember, this was my least favorite of all the Sandman story lines. That being said, perhaps this time I will find something new or maybe I will have a different attitude towards the tale.

Mini review: It finally dawned on me after all these years why this is my least favorite of the Sandman tales. It is because Dream is not the protagonist. In fact, he barely appears except at the very beginning and then in the end. This is a common enough occurrence in the one-shot tales, but I believe A Game of You is the only longer Sandman story in which this is the case. That being said, I did find more to discover and more to enjoy this time around. Perhaps more than any other Sandman collection, this one foreshadows Dream's own fate, but it does so with several reversal twists, placing Dream himself in the role of another. I'm glad I read this again as it increased my appreciation for it.

No comments: