Saturday, August 20, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 44 -- Reader and Educator Guide to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Started: August 17
Finished: August 20

Notes: This Kindle freebie is sort of meant for teachers to use in introducing Tolkien's work to students. Been a long while since I've read any Tolkien, so I thought this might be worth dipping into to remind me of some past favorite reads.

Mini review: This was interesting. Basically a teaching plan for Tolkien's works, there questions to ask students, suggested readings, excerpts from Tolkien and some of his letters, as well as excerpts from a few ancient epic tales, etc. This reminded me of a lot I had forgotten while also putting a few things in a new light. Glad I read it.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Some of these kinds of works are very helpful