Sunday, September 04, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 46 -- Mr. Mercedes

by Stephen King

Started: August 27
Finished: Sept. 3

Notes: Catching up on my King reading, I turn to Mr. Mercedes, which apparently is the first in a trilogy or a series, which is uncommon for King, the Dark Tower materials notwithstanding. This could prove interesting.

Mini review: More thriller than horror, in this novel a retired detective unretires himself when a killer contacts him, a killer who murdered a number of people by driving a Mercedes into a crowd. I can't say this was King at his best, but it was far from his worst. The prose was solid and the characters interesting, but most of the time I could see what was coming, which is unusual for me and King's works. As an aside note, when I was a kid I used to write and draw my own comic books, and one of the super heroes was a character named Mr. Mercedes who was funded, obviously, by the fine folks of Mercedes (in my fictional world a number of heroes were backed by corporations).

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Haven't read it but I'm currently rereading the first Dark Tower book. trying to see if I like it better than I did the first time through