Monday, November 20, 2017

Books read in 2017: No. 41 -- The Sea-Hawk

by Rafael Sabatini

Started: Nov. 3
Finished: Nov. 20

Notes: Since I just read Steve Goble's new pirate novel, I only thought it fitting I pull this one out of my TBR pile where it's been languishing for some while. I've read a couple of Sabatini novels before and always enjoyed them, so I expect good things here.

Mini review: This one didn't thrill as much as the other works of this author I've read. The writing wasn't bad, but it was hit and miss with some chapters being interesting while others dragged. In all fairness, it's my understanding this was one of Sabatini's earlier works, so perhaps he wasn't fully up to snuff just yet. Anyway, an English lord is kidnapped and sent off to slavery but through fortune becomes a Muslim pirate. That's the bare bones of this tale, and actually that's not a bad plot, though I'm leaving out a lot. Though this wasn't a favorite, it wasn't so bad as to ruin Sabatini for me, so I'll likely read more of his work at some point.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Read and enjoyed a couple of his. and will read more.