Sunday, January 20, 2019

Books read in 2019: No. 3 -- That Hideous Strength

by C.S. Lewis

Started: Jan. 10
Finished: Jan. 20

Notes: As I've just finished the first two books of this trilogy, I thought I'd go ahead and finish the series of with this third book.

Mini review: This novel was quite a bit different than the other two in this series, taking place on Earth instead of other planets and the main character from the first two novels is her in a secondary but important role. The writing won't be for everyone, especially most modern readers, as it can be a bit dense at time when focusing upon different characters' inner thoughts, but the plot is decent enough, almost more like modern horror than science fiction or fantasy, and in truth this novel (and the others in the trilogy) are more fantasy than true science fiction, also with a touch of Christian fiction, as can be expected from C.S. Lewis. The ending is a big strange, at least to my liking, and is something of an anti-climax in my opinion, but it also seems to fit in its own, odd way. Glad I read it, but also glad to be finished with it.

No comments: