Monday, March 18, 2019

Books read in 2019: No. 21 -- Kahiki Supper Club

by David Meyers, Elise Meyers Walker, Jeff Chenault and Doug Motz

Started: March 15
Finished: March 18

Notes: I lived most of the '90s in Ohio and while there became acquainted with a fantastic restaurant in Columbus called "Kahiki." It was a Polynesian place that was visually wild. Walking into the restaurant, it was like entering a set for Gilligan's Island, but even wilder. The food was great and the drinks were not only tasty but humongous and colorful. I realize this might sound tacky to some, but I found it fun. Unfortunately, Kahiki is no longer with us. However, I was visiting Columbus a couple of years ago and visiting my favorite bookstore there when I found this book about the famed restaurant. Though I can't visit the Kahiki today, it lives on in literature, and I'm glad of it. The name "Kahiki" also lives on in frozen foods you might be able to find in your local grocery store.

Mini review: This was simply a fun read that took me down memory lane. The book is mainly a history of Kahiki's creation along with a few stories from over the decades of its existence, as well as some about the end of the restaurant and the beginnings of the Kahiki frozen food business which followed. There were also a few food and drink recipes from the restaurant. It's too bad this fantastic place no longer stands, but at least now I've got this book with its ton of stories and photos. A very pleasant read for me.

No comments: