Monday, November 25, 2019

Beer of the Week: St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Beer score: 8.4

Company: McAuslan Brewing Company

ABV: 5.0
IBU: 45

I have a bad habit of thinking of Canadian beers as mere imitators of their American cousins, but this is a beer that proves my habit wrong. In fact, this might be the best beer from Canada I've ever tasted.

Pours black and thick from the bottle into a clear glass with the barest hints of light passing through. The head is thick and tan but doesn't last long. The smell strikes one with scents of dark, rich coffee, a touch of chocolate, and deeply roasted malt.

The taste is something special. There's that stout taste one often associates with Guinness, but there's also a deeper heavy, burnt syrup flavor that pushes this one over the edge. Guinness fans will like this one, but the truth is, this is a richer stout than Guinness. There's tons of full flavor here along with some nuttiness.

All in all, this is one of the best stouts I've ever tried. Not sure I'd say it's the absolute best I've ever tried, but boy, it's up there.

No comments: