Monday, January 20, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 1 -- The Book of Genesis, KJV

published by Zondervan

Started: Jan. 1
Finished: Jan. 20

Notes: I've probably read all of the Bible at one time or another, or at least nearly all of it, but I've never started from the beginning and read it all the way to the end. So now I'm correcting that. I decided upon the King James Version for a variety of reasons, including artistic. Initially I set out to read the Bible straight through from beginning to end, but soon realized I would need a break, so I'll be peppering my future reading with books from the Bible at least until I've finished the whole book, so that might take some years.

Mini review: Okay, from the beginning of all time and space to the deaths of Jacob and Joseph, a lot happens in this book, also including the stories of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Adam and Eve, and more. Lots of historical and  mythological detail here, but it's not the most exciting of reads, especially when it gets listing all the names of fathers and their sons with the occasional daughter or wife. For those who would ask, yes, I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I've thrown away rational thought entirely, and that my reading here was more from a historical and literary point of view than a faith-based one. Christians obviously should read this book, as should those with interests in religion and history.

1 comment:

Lyn Perry said...

Thanks for the update!