Monday, February 17, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 3 -- Cold Mountain

by Charles Frazier

Started: Jan. 29
Finished: Feb. 17

Notes: I'm reading this book now for several reasons. One, I'm in the mood for some fiction, especially some serious literary fiction, which this seems to be. Two, yes, I'm seen the movie and found it somewhat depressing, but I also thought it would make quality literature. Three, I actually don't live too far from where the events of this historical novel take place, so I might find some interest and familiarity there.

Mini review: This was a damn fine book. It took me a hundred pages or so to realize how good it could be, but I got there. The writing style here is superb, reminding me a bit of Cormac McCarthy but better, more accessible. There are some flashback sequences, a practice which I normally can't stand, but they work here mostly because they are relatively short and to the point. I'm not going to give anything away as I don't want to ruin this book for anyone, but it is rather bleak and takes place during the U.S. Civil War. The ending is not an overly happy one, but it's also not a complete tragedy, slightly annoying so for me.

No comments: