Sunday, April 02, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 11 -- Lizzie: A Novel

by Evan Hunter

Started: March 22
Finished: April 2

Notes: Evan Hunter is one of my favorite authors (especially under his Ed McBain name), so I'm interested in reading his take (though fictional) on the Lizzie Borden case. I'm pretty well read on Lizzie Borden and know the case pretty well, so I'm expecting this to be a good read.

Mini review: This one was a mixed bag for me, mainly because it was told in two different timelines and I generally find that approach annoying. The one timeline was basically the trial of Lizzie Borden, and this was written directly from the transcripts, so this part of the book was less fiction and could be of interest to those who want to study the case. The other timeline was almost completely fiction and took place a few years earlier during a trip Lizzie took to Europe. As far as who did the crimes, I don't have a problem with the author's narrative, or even the how, but his conclusions for the why I find rather fanciful.

No comments: