Started: Sept. 24
Finished: Sept. 27
Notes: I'm more a fan of this author's nonfiction Christian apologetics than I am his fiction, but this short novel seems to be something of a mix of both, telling of a bus ride, potentially to Heaven, where those riding the bus have decisions to make upon the way, decisions that might decide whether they reach Glory or not. I'm sure I'll learn more as I read.
Mini review: Those who wish to study Christianity would do well to read this book, though I would not suggest doing so until after studying the religion somewhat beforehand. It's not that this book is difficult to read, quite the opposite, but some of its leanings might not seem familiar to those with only a cursory understanding of Christ and Christianity. This is not a book of the superficial, nor of superficial religion. Yes, there's a bus ride from Hell to the outlying lands of Heaven, and in those outlying lands there are sinners who are greeted by spirits and given a choice in determining their fate. All that sounds rather simple, but this is truly a novel of putting aside expectations, of asking humanity to truly study itself at its deepest parts and to do away with all that could be considered evil in any fashion. This is not a book for casual believers, who might go away from reading this only confused or even angry or upset. Complexity, time, our very thoughts, are all questioned here, but not in a destructive or negative manner. Non-believers might consider this a trite book, or they might even think of it as stupid. Or perhaps I'm wrong, putting my own impressions upon what I might think others would think. It's that kind of book, seeking to have you question everything about yourself.

No comments:
Post a Comment