Thursday, June 05, 2008

No. 16 - Paradise Lost

by John Milton
edited by William Kerrigan, John Rumrich and Stephen M. Fallon

Started: June 4
Finished: July 6

Notes: This icon of Christian literature first published in 1667 is something I've been meaning to read for most of my life, and now is a good time since I can read it as research for my John Dee character's stories. The cover image with this post is of the actual copy of the book I'm reading; it's a galley (an uncorrected proof) of a new version of this classic coming out later this year.

Mini review: This is one of the most beautifully-written works I have ever read, full of poetry that is striking to the senses. The story is basically that of the fall of Satan, and then the fall of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and it is a tale told most sad but with hope. I recommend this book for anyone with interests in poetry, fantasy fiction, literature and religion. But a word of warning, the writing is not always easy to follow; it's a bit of a tough read, though it will help if you have a background in classical history because of all the references to the ancient, pre-Christ world.

No comments: