Sunday, July 13, 2008

No. 19 - The Grin of the Dark

by Ramsey Campbell

Started: July 13
Finished: July 22

Notes: Ramsey Campbell is best known today as a horror writer, but back in the 1970s he did some Sword and Sorcery writing and similar work. I'm familiar with some of his S&S stuff and some of his short stories, but this is the first novel I've read by him. This is his newest horror novel, set in England and it concerns a forgotten silent-movie star and a film critic. I'm hoping for some solid reading.

Mini review: This is one for horror fans who enjoy a slow build up and not a lot of gore, a tale more psychological then full of terror. I enjoyed it, but I felt the build-up was a little too much, at least by 50 and maybe 100 pages. The ending comes upon you rather quick, which wasn't bad, though itis a bit confusing. Reminded me quite a bit of psychological horror I'm more familiar seeing from horror novels of the 1950s.

No comments: