Friday, April 03, 2009

Hello from reality

Lately I've avoided reading and writing speculative fiction. This has been intentional on my part. I've been reading more literary-type works, and I've several ahead of me. My to-be-read pile has very little speculative fiction in it at the moment.

The reason for all this is because I've been working on a sort of mainstream/literary novel that does not have any speculative elements to it. I'm writing this novel for personal reasons, and I am enjoying doing so.

However, all that being said, I've just spent the better part of the last hour perusing my usual hangouts online ... mostly speculative fiction forums and blogs and the like.

And I'm kind of missing it. I've got friends and peers with novels and anthologies coming out. But I sort of feel left out. Not of their success. No, that's their doing. And congrats to all of them. But I sort of feel like I'm being left behind in the speculative fiction world.

What to do? I don't know. I don't like breaking away from a novel when I'm in the middle of it, and it's not like I have any great ideas at the moment for any sci-fi/horror or fantasy short stories.

I guess I'll just keep plugging along. Eventually I'll finish the current novel and my current readings. Eventually I'll get back to worlds beyond those I know.

Because I miss them.

3 comments:

cindy said...

i honestly can't imagine writing a story without spec fic elements--tho i hope to one day. do what feels right!! i'm interested in this new non spec-fic novel you are working on. what's it about? =)

Ty said...

It's about a man who has been a rolling stone all his life suddenly trying to re-connect with his past, specifically a son he hasn't seen in years. There's more to it than that, of course, but that's a decent beginning for a brief summary.

cindy said...

sounds like you can definitely write many interesting things with that premise. can't wait to see where this takes you, ty! =)