Tuesday, January 05, 2010

What to read this year?

At the start of a new year, I always like to look back at what I read from the year before and see if I notice any trends. For example, in 2009 I read a fair amount of classic literature, more in one year than I had read in a long time. I also read a good number of Ed McBain police procedural novels.

What didn't I read? I didn't read a lot of non-fiction. And I didn't read a lot of fantasy fiction, which is unusal for me. The exception to this last one is that I did read quite a bit (for me, at least) of fiction by Robert E. Howard and non-fiction concerning the author.

So, I've been thinking what to read this year? I'm going to try to focus on two areas. First, I'm going to try and read more fantasy fiction than I did last year. Why? Because I took a long break from fantasy a while back and I missed a lot, nearly a whole decade's worth of fantasy fiction. I need to catch up.

Second, I've got a list of books I want to read, so I'm going to try to focus on that list some more. Some of that stuff is fantasy, but not all of it. A good bit is more classic literature. Some of the books listed, I can't even remember why they're on the list.

I'll see how things go.

No comments: