Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 15 - The Mysterious Island

The Mysterious Islandby Jules Verne

Started: April 5
Finished: April 21

Notes: It's been at least two decades since I've read any Jules Verne, and as a younger man I enjoyed this author. That's why I've decided to read him again. And it helped this was another Kindle freebie from Amazon. Also, I was turned toward this novel a year or so ago when I read it was one of the influences upon the television show Lost; if nothing else, it would appear the title was an influence.

Mini review: It was a joy to rediscover Jules Verne after all these years. This was an excellent, fun and intriguing read. It was also obvious the influence this book had upon the Lost TV show. As an added bonus, this book turned out to be a sequel to Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, a novel of his I cherish, and another of his books, In Search of the Castaways, which I'll have to read. Also, this was one of those novels in which you hate to say goodbye to the characters when you're finished reading.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm not sure I've read this one. Will ahve to check my notes. I did see the movie made of it, which wasn't too bad.