Sunday, May 15, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 22 - Cyrano de Bergerac

Cyrano De Bergeracby Edmond Rostand

Started: May 15
Finished: May 18

Notes: Other than Shakespeare and a fair number of Greek plays, I'm not a big reader of plays. That being said, I have been meaning to read this play for some time. I'm somewhat familiar with the main story, and I am somewhat familiar with the actual historical persona of Cyrano de Bergerac, but I still expect there to be much here to learn. This being another freebie for the Kindle, I realized I could no longer set aside reading this.

Mini review: The first third or so of this play was kind of slow, but most of that was introduction of the characters, so that could be forgiven. But then about halfway through, this play became hilariously funny. I truly laughed out loud at parts. The ending is sad and bittersweet, but in my opinion it is not quite tragic. Cyrano de Bergerac has to be one of the most individualistic and heroic literary figures of all time.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

I am not a big reader of plays either, but I did a degree in classics and was required to read many plays, lots of Greek ones. Thanks for the post, I love Kindle freebies.