Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 23 - Paradise Regained

Paradise Regainedby John Milton

Started: May 18
Finished: May 19

Notes: Paradise Lost is my favorite Christian literature of all time, in my opinion even surpassing the Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible in its poetics. Paradise Lost is also one of my favorite poems of all times. Unfortunately, I have heard many ill things about its sequel, this book, Paradise Regained. But of course I have to see for myself.

Mini review: Unfortunately, this poem was nowhere near as good as its prequel. On the plus side, there were a handful of good lines here, but over all not the strength and beauty of Paradise Lost. Which is unfortunate, from a Christian point of view. Paradise Lost concerns the fall of grace of mankind, while Paradise Regained is mostly about the temptation of Jesus by Satan in the desert. One would hope the poem focusing on Jesus would be better than the one focusing mostly upon Satan, but not so in this case. Ah, well.

No comments: