Thursday, May 19, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 24 - Books

Books: A Memoirby Larry McMurtry

Started: May 19
Finished: May 22

Notes: I've read a few of McMurtry's novels and enjoyed them, his Lonesome Dove being a particular favorite of mine. But not only is McMurtry a writer, he's also a book store owner. This book is a memoir of his, focusing upon his love of books, which I would hope is a particular love of all writers.

Mini review: The word most appropriate I can use for this book is "charming." It took me about 75 pages to get into it, but once I did I was taken away with McMurtry's little stories of buying and selling books over the last half century or so. And it made me a bit sad, sad that the secondhand book trade is not what it once was, that it, like many things from earlier days, is a dying breed. Still, there are a number of antiquarian book stores around, and for now I can still enjoy visiting one from time to time.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've actually visited the town where McMurty ownes all those bookstores. Bought a few myself, although there was a huge amount of nonfiction and less fiction in them.