Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 49 - Stranger in a Strange Land

by Robert A. Heinlein

Started: October 18
Finished: October 27

Notes: I read this science fiction classic twice in my life, the first time in my early teens and then again in my middle teens. I remember enjoying it, but also thinking that it was over my head at the time. Well, I ran across a copy in a used book store recently, and it only costs 10 cents. I couldn't pass that up! Plus, I've been meaning to give this one another try, now more than 25 years later, thinking maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to understand it better. Plus I like Heinlein as an author.

Mini review: I was surprised by this book. I had forgotten so much of it. What surprised me was the obvious influence it must have had upon me as a young teen, and even later in life. No, I'm not into all the hippy stuff nor the "Thou art God" stuff, but the cynicism and empathy portrayed by the Jubal character could have come from my own lips. I wouldn't necessarily call this a great novel, but it is a good one. I'm glad I looked back upon it. I grok.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I had read a lot of Heinlein before this one and enjoyed his work very much. This was such a departure from his usual work that I really hated it. I still consider it a weak book, and it actually stopped me from reading Heinlein for years.