Thursday, March 08, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 18 - Breaking an Empire

by James Tallett

Started: March 8
Finished: March 10

Notes: This fantasy writer is new to me, and since it's always important to check out the competition, I thought I'd give him a try. Right? I've read the first few pages, and so far the characters are reminding me a lot of the soldiers from Steven Erikson's Malazan series, though the writing isn't nearly so heavy. That's a good thing, by the way, as I love Erikson's novels but find him overly wordy at times. I'm looking forward to this one.

Mini review: There seemed to be a definite Malazan influence here, what with the veteran soldier characters and their thrown weapons of glass orbs. I would be surprised if the author isn't a Malazan fan. Not bad writing here. Not overly deep, in my opinion, but not bad. I'd be interested to see what this writer can do in a longer work. One fault I did feel this tale had was there was little sense of true concern for the characters during the first two-thirds of the story. Several battles, but none seemed truly deadly to our heroes, at least not until the final conflict.

No comments: