Sunday, April 01, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 27 -- About a Boy

by Nick Hornby

Started: March 31
Finished: April 3

Notes: I've read one other novel by this author, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Also, I've seen a couple of movies based upon his writing and have enjoyed them as well. So I thought it time to dig in and read another book by this man.

Mini review: I'm glad I read this as an older man and not 20 years ago. Much of the plot revolves around the suicide of Kurt Cobain, believe it or not, which is rather unusual because this isn't even hinted at in the movie. I'm not sure as a twenty-something in the early-to-mid 1990s that I could have come to this novel properly because of my inexperience as a youth. A big part of this novel, especially the end, is about growing up, but it's also about changing, even as an adult. I don't think I would have understand any of that 20 years ago, or even 15 years ago. That and the then pain of Cobain's suicide would have been a bit too much for the younger me. As far as my opinion of this novel, it was a good but not great read, but I'm glad I read it.

No comments: