Sunday, July 29, 2012

Artwork ... 'Background'

'Background'

This is a simple painting. The title comes from what I have in store for this piece in the future. It will be the background behind another piece of art, perhaps several pieces of art. I have an idea for a series of paintings, which will be related to a serial novel I'm working, basically with a different painting appearing on each cover of the serialized story (which I'm planning to tell in five parts of about 20,000 words each). I wanted similar backgrounds for each painting, and then it occurred to me, why not have the same background for each. This is the modern age! Technology is at my fingertips! So, I've painted this image first and plan to combine it with my future paintings in Photoshop. Does this make sense to anyone but me? If not, it will once the finished products are presented, which might take some while as I've still a lot of writing and painting to do.

The feel I was going for here is kind of a mixture. I wanted to represent a deep, dark storm, but also sort of an old, tainted leather kind of look. I think I've pulled this off. My colors were green, red, orange, and just a hint of burnt sienna here and there; the mixture tends toward a dark browning with hints of the original colors here and there, which is what I had hoped would happen.

Also, I wanted to point out that the middle area of this piece is dark on purpose. That is the general area where other images/paintings will be placed.

Not my favorite piece, but I think it works.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

Certainly interesting.