Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 60 -- Flashing Swords #1

edited by Lin Carter

Started: July 2
Finished: July 7

Notes: I have intentionally not been reading a lot of fantasy of late because I was feeling some burnout from the genre. I spent much of last year reading and writing fantasy. So, I sought some change. However, I ran across this little hardback collectible of Sword and Sorcery tales in a used book store a few months back and I've been chomping at the bit to tear into it ever since.

Mini review: I hate to say it, but I was disappointed with this one. The story by Friz Leiber was the best, but even it I felt was not one of that author's strongest tales. The stories by Jack Vance and Poul Anderson left me feeling kind of bleh. And though I'm not a big fan, Lin Carter's story itself wasn't too bad, starting off strong but sort of whimpering out in the end, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I envy you. I read this a long time ago and enjoyed it quite much. There's a whole series of these. Five I believe. This is one of the best. I would enjoy having this to read for the first time.

Ty said...

Charles, I had read #4 and #5, but never the first three. Little gems like this are one of the reasons I still love searching through used book stores.