Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 67 -- Bread

by Ed McBain

Started: August 20
Finished: August 22

Notes: Argh! I really am trying not to read any more Ed McBain novels because I feel I've read a ton of them this year. But I was rushing out of the house one morning and knowing I was going to be sitting in a doctor's office for a while, I grabbed a book on the way out the door. That book happened to be this one. I almost always enjoy McBain, especially these 87th Precinct novels, but I'm teetering on the edge of being burned out on them. Ah well. And just think, I'm still got a stack of a dozen or so of these books waiting for me. This one is supposed to be about the police hunting for an arsonist, but often I find the actual tales are more complex than the book blurbs show.

Mini review: As always, a pretty good read. The mystery, or investigation, in this tale was more complex than most of McBain's, involving a lot of characters who were connected in various ways. It was almost impossible to see all the links, but McBain spelled them out beautifully in the end.

No comments: