Friday, June 14, 2013

Books read in 2013: No. 28 -- In the Suicide Mountains

by John Gardner

artwork by Joe Servello

Started: June 12
Finished: June 14

Notes: The late John Gardner is an author whose approach to fiction I much appreciate. He was considered something of a philosophical writer, though what I've read of his has not been dry and boring, for those who might fear such concerning philosophy and writing. This particular book is apparently a children's book, including much artwork, but it begins with quite the dark topic: a dwarf and some other adventures decide to end it all by going into the mountains. This is their tale. I very much look forward to it.

Mini review: Above I called this a children's book, but by today's standards it is likely more of a young adult tale. In the Suicide Mountains was originally published in the late 1970s, and it seems to me children's literature back then was a bit darker than what we generally think of it as today, but perhaps my memory is hazy as I was a child myself then. Anyway, this was quite the cute story, though it did have it's darker elements. The artwork was quite good, and I felt it fit the story perfectly. This was basically a modern fairy tale of sorts, with a few quirks of that genre. There's a knightly prince who doesn't want to be a knight, a maiden who doesn't want to be a maiden, and a dwarf who doesn't want to lose his temper. Then there's the infamous six-fingered man who is the main villain, though he's not the same six-fingered man from the movie and novel The Princess Bride (just in case you were wondering). And, of course, there's a dragon.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I like Gardner as well, though I haven't read this one.