Friday, January 19, 2018

Books read in 2018: No. 3 -- The Blue Hawk

by Peter Dickinson

Started: Jan. 15
Finished: Jan. 19

Notes: I don't believe I've read any of the works of this author, though I recognize the name, so I thought it time I give him a try.

Mini review: I'm always pleasantly surprised when I read an author unfamiliar to me and I go away enjoying the book. A young acolyte to a god finds himself embroiled in courtly intrigues between a king and several order of priests while war looms in the background from an approaching horde of barbarians. But that's just the basics of this tale. Really it comes down to the relationship of mankind with the gods. Who is really in control? Do the gods control men, or have men enslaved the gods? Or is it a bit of both? An interesting work and a pretty good read. I'll have to look for more from this writer.

2 comments:

The Wasp said...

His Inspector Pibble books are one of the most fantastical and weird mystery series I've ever read. The first, The Glass-Sided Ant's Nest involves a jungle tribe living in an attic in London.

Adventuresfantastic said...

I've seen copies of this novel in used book stores for years but didn't know anything about it or the author. I'll have to snag the next copy I come across. Thanks for the review.