Monday, June 08, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 14 -- Lexicon

by Max Barry

Started: June 1
Finished: June 8

Notes: This author has a new novel out. This is not it. But, the new novel reminded me I had this earlier novel waiting for me on my shelves.

Mini review: This is by far the most entertaining book I've read so far this year. It's a bit difficult to tell the plot without giving too much away, but I'll try: A secret organization has discovered the power of words, the true power of words, allowing trained individuals to use certain words or sounds in certain orders to be able to control other people. It's almost like magic, but not exactly. Set in the modern world, all kinds of trouble brews up, and it might be some things are more powerful than magic or words or magical words. Maybe. You have to read this one for yourself, but it's a fairly fast-paced entertaining, but also interesting read. Too often I find fault with some modern literature, especially that of the fast-paced variety, because I feel it has been written down to the reader, but that is not the case here.

No comments: