Saturday, June 17, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 17 -- Our Lady of Darkness

by Fritz Leiber

Started: June 11
Finished: June 16

Notes: Though Leiber is mainly remembered today as one of the more well known Sword and Sorcery writers, he penned other works, this being one of them. So, in the past I've dipped into some of his other works, and I thought I'd give this one a try, a novel about a horror author who apparently stumbles upon a real-life horror.

Mini review: This one was interesting, but I wouldn't say it was Leiber best work. Set in 1970s San Francisco, a horror author runs into some real horror along with a collection of companions. This one bordered on the Lovecraftian with a slow, eerie buildup that was nice (with the exception of one long info dump); however, the ending I found rather trite. Still, not a bad read over all, and it was nice to read some horror from an earlier age where everything wasn't just action and dialogue, a common fault I find in much modern fiction.

No comments: